Skilled visas allow skilled individuals to live and work in Australia. But obtaining one is quite tough and requires a lot of work and preparation. If you really want your visa to get approved you have to take the help of some migration expert, one of the trusted Migration Services providers is Way2OZ which is an Australian owned migration consultancy firm helping individuals to get visa easily in first attempt. Skilled visa is a points-based system, and it is the most preferred visa application pathway for skilled workers. You are required to have required qualifications, work experience, and must fulfil all the criteria put forward by Australia immigration department.
Skilled workers in selected occupations and professions may apply for permanent residency in Australia. From time to time, the Australian government changes the types of skilled occupations on the list, depending on the demand and supply of certain skills. There are currently two types of lists for Skilled Occupation lists – MLTSSL and STSOL. To apply for any skilled visa, you must nominate an occupation from these lists and have approved Skills Assessment from relevant Skills assessing authority.
Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) – This visa lets you live and work permanently anywhere in Australia. This is a points tested stream where you are awarded points for your age, qualifications, experience and English Language skills. You must have your nominated occupation on the 189 occupation List (MLTSSL)
Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190) – This is also points tested visa that lets you live and work permanently anywhere in Australia, but you must be nominated by an Australian State or Territory and each state has their own eligibility criteria for state nomination. You must have your nominated occupation in MLTSSL or STSOL Occupation List.
Skilled Work Regional (provisional) Visa (Subclass 491) – As the name implies, this is temporary visa which allows skilled workers to stay up to 5 years. To be eligible for this visa, you must be nominated by state/ territory or sponsored by eligible relative.
- Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191) – This visa is permanent visa and pathway for individuals who held Skilled Work Regional (provisional) Visa (Subclass 491) for 3 years , lived in designated regional area, had taxable income of had a taxable income at or above a specific income threshold for 3 years. This visa does not commence until 16 November 2022.
Australia is a popular destination for skilled migrants as it offers a standard living standard and competitive salary. Way2Oz Migration and Education Services is always ready to assist anyone who wants to apply for a skilled immigration visa, over the years we have helped many skilled professionals to get visa easily. You must have the required qualifications, work experience, and language skills. One thing to note here is that every state also has a different list depending on the requirements, so you must check the list of every state.
In 2012-2013, all Australian skilled worker visas were replaced by the General Skilled Migration program. In this program the applicants must score at least 65 points from General Skilled Migration’s (SkillSelect) points tables to be eligible for consideration. For more clarity we have mentioned all the requirements:
- You must score a minimum of 65 and make sure that your occupation is listed in the occupation list.
- You must have an approved Skills Assessment from relevant authority for your nominated occupation.
- Before you are invited to apply for the visa, an Expression of Interest (EOI) must be submitted.
- No matter how high your score is, you cannot apply for visa unless your EOI was selected.
- Apply for a Visa upon receiving invitation for a particular skilled visa/subclass
Benefits of a Skilled Visa Skilled Visa provides all the benefits of permanent residency in Australia for you and your family.
- You can work and live in Australia for life, start your own business and all sorts of things if you follow all the laws.
- Register for Medicare, Australia’s government-run healthcare program
- Sponsor relatives for permanent residence
- You can travel to and from Australia at your own convenience.
Australia’s Migration program is designed to achieve a number of social and economic benefits. Each year, the program is assessed against the requirements of the various industries, states and economies and a ceiling is placed for the migration level. For the program year 2019-10, this ceiling has been set at 160,000 places.
The Skilled Migration has the majority of the places in this program – 108,682.
The purpose of the Skilled Migration Program is to attract highly employable people and fill skill shortages in the labour market, especially regional Australia. It is the most common form of migration to Australia.
Applications under this program are assessed on points test basis. Scoring minimum of 65 points in points test qualifies you for a skilled migration. However, qualifying does not guarantee the visa as there are other requirements that must be met before you are invited to apply for visa.
Who is eligible?
- be less than 45 years of age
- score 65 points
- have obtained a score of at least 6 bands in each component if IELTS (or equivalent)
You must also:
- have an occupation on relevant list of eligible skilled occupations
- have a positive Skills Assessment