Whether you are already in Australia or aspiring to come to Australia for your further studies, Way2Oz Migration Services can guide and assist you to choose your career path, take the next steps and make your hard earned money to work in your best interest.
We have partnered with a number of educational institutes to offer onshore and offshore admissions to our clients. In addition, for clients who have finished their study and are looking to gain some professional experience, we can assist in choosing the right provider for Professional Year, and that too at competitive prices.
Course/ University Change
The decision to study in an international institute is one of the most important decision an aspiring student will have to make in their adult life. There are a lot of factors to be considered and a whole lot of research to be conducted before you fork out hundreds and thousands of dollars for a country’s education system. Some of the questions you might ask:
- Which study course should I go for?
- Which institute provides me the best support for the chosen course?
- What are my career options after the course?
- Which country should I pursue my study in?
- Where does the chosen course & institute sit in world rankings?
- How is general living in that country?
We can help answer all of the above and more, so that you can make an informed decision and be comfortable with the decision. We provide career counselling to students including choosing the right study course and assisting in understanding the career path.
Among many reasons, below are a few that prove Australia is truly the student destination when it comes to international education:
- More than 1000 educational institutes
- 20,000+ courses on offer
- 3rd Most popular student destination in the world
- 5 out of 30 best student cities are Australian
- Australian qualifications are recognised around the world
Australia has one of the best controls and systems in place to ensure International students receive the best education.
click on the below links to learn more about the measures:
The Australian Qualifications Framework provides a range of study options, primarily split into 3 different sectors:
- Australian Schools (Government & Private)
- Vocational Education & Training (TAFE and private providers)
- Higher Education (mainly Universities)
the structure of Australian schools can be described in 4 study levels:
- Level: Pre-School | Duration: 1 year | Age: 3-4 years
- Level: Preparatory Year | Duration: 1 year | Age: 4-6 years
- Level: Primary School | Duration: 6-7 years | Age: 5-12 years
- Level: Secondary School | Duration: 5-6 years | Age: 12-18 years
VET courses are focused on work related education and training. This sector offers 8 qualifications:
- Level: Certificate I | Duration: 3-6 months
- Level: Certificate II & III | Duration: 6-12 months
- Level: Certificate IV | Duration: 1 year
- Level: Diploma | Duration: 1-2 years
- Level: Advanced Diploma | Duration: 2-2.5 years
- Level: vocation Graduate Certificate | Duration: 6 months
- Level: Vocational Graduate Diploma | Duration: 1-1.5 years
there are 41 universities in Australia, primarily government owned. these universities provide 8 qualifications:
- Level: Diploma | Duration: 1-2 years
- Level: Bachelor degree | Duration: 3 years
- Level: Bachelor degree (Honours) | Duration: 4 years
- Level: Graduate Certificate| Duration: 6 months
- Level: Graduate Diploma | Duration: 12 months
- Level: Masters degree (coursework) | Duration: 1-2 years
- Level: Masters degree (research) | Duration: 1-2 years
- Level: Doctoral degree (PhD) | Duration: 3 years
students can enter at any year if the application is accepted by school, but generally, the entry levels are:
- Primary School – Prep or Year 1
- Secondary School – Year 6 or 8 or Year 10 or 11
Students need complete academic records for at least 2 years. Also, for admission to Government schools, a minimum result of 60% is required in each of these years.
the entry requirements for VET may differ from institution to institution and course to course, but generally, for entry into a Certificate level course, students need:
- a Grade 10-12 qualification, and
- an IELTS score of 5.5 (or equivalent)
similar to VET, the entry requirements vary between universities and courses, but generally, the entry levels are:
- Undergraduate Courses – Year 12
- Postgraduate Courses – Bachelor degree
Additionally, students need to demonstrate an appropriate level of English proficiency, which is usually higher than VET.
- Social Studies & Environment
- Health & Physical Education
VET & Universities
- Business & Economics
- Agriculture, Environment & Veterinary Science
- Engineering & Technology
- Architecture & Building
- Creative Industries
- Humanities, Social Science & Education
Schools – AUD 6,000 – AUD 35,000
VET – AUD 5,500 – AUD 20,000
Universities – AUD 20,000 – AUD 45,000
you can apply for a study course either onshore or offshore. The process outlined below remains somewhat similar in both scenarios:
- choose your desired course and institute
- submit certified copies of your identity & qualification documents along with the application form
- if the institute accepts your application, you receive a Letter of Offer
- you accept the offer, submit any additional documents required and pay the fee*
- the institute issues Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- you apply for student visa**
* you also have to pay for OSHC – Overseas Student Health Cover before the institute can issue CoE. Most institutes provide a quote for OSHC in the Letter of Offer, but you can get this cover directly from an approved health provider.
**if you have applied onshore, you can apply for student visa after receiving Letter of Offer, you don’t have to wait for the CoE.
the admission process can take somewhere between 2-4 months.
this does not take into account the visa application process.
Professional year program can be most simply described as a job readiness program, which prepares recent graduates for the relevant industry by combining learning and workplace experience.
It is a 12 month program run by approved providers and involves 2-3 months industry placements.
Professional Year program is offered in 3 disciplines only – Engineering, Accounting and Computer Science.
If you re looking to apply for Skilled Migration, doing a Professional year also awards you 5 points towards your application.
you must also have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 overall and in each component (or equivalent)
- EA – Engineers Australia
- ACS – Australian Computer Society
- CPA – Certified Practising Accountant
- SMIPA – Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
- CA – Chartered Accountants
- IPA – Institute of Public Accountants
- Engineering PY Program: $15,200
- Computer Science PY Program: $11,300 – $12,300
- Accounting PY Program: $8,750 – $11,250
there are only a few recognised and approved providers for PY program and the process remains similar to below for these institutes:
- submit certified copies of your identity and qualification documents along with the application form & fee
- attend an interview with the provider, either in person or over the phone
- institute issues a Letter of Offer
- accept the offer and submit the program fee
It generally takes ~30-35 days to get enrolled in a Professional Year program, but you need to be aware of the specific intake dates for your discipline.
Book a consultation with us to get more detailed information on any program.
Course/ University Change
It is not uncommon for international students to enrol in a course from overseas and change to a different course or even change the provider once they arrive in Australia.
This could be attributed to lack of course knowledge or institute or an incorrect advice from an overseas education agent.
Way2Oz can assist in choosing the right course and institute and assist in the admission process as well.
Before you decide to change your course and/or institute, you must understand certain visa conditions that have been placed on your student visa.
you must remain enrolled in a registered course
Maintain AQF Level
you must maintain enrolment in a registered course that is at the same AQF level or higher for which your student visa was granted.
you must not have more than 2 months gaps between your courses.
you can have a gap of more than 2 months only in certain circumstances, like end of academic year study break or at the completion of your studies where you are applying for a new visa.
First 6 months
this is not a visa condition, but a standard from ESOS Act, which sets out that registered educaiton providers must not enrol an overseas student wishing to transfer from another institute prior to student completing 6 months of their principal course.
if you wish to change institute within first 6 months, you must get a release letter from your original institute before you can enrol in the new institute.